Over the past 35 years, The New York Blood Center Enterprises’ (NYBCe) Transfusion Medicine Fellowship Program has trained more than 100 specialists in transfusion medicine. The core one-year program is ACGME-accredited and designed to train physicians interested in acquiring the competence necessary for American Board of Pathology sub-specialty certification in blood banking/ transfusion medicine. Fellows spend the year both at NYBCe and at one of three partnership hospitals:
The one-year core program consists of the following formal rotations:
- Blood services, collections, regulatory affairs
- Immunohematology and Genomics Laboratory
- Hospital transfusion services
- Clinical services, therapeutic apheresis, perioperative autologous transfusion, stem cell collection
- HLA Laboratory
- Cord blood public bank
- Cellular therapy laboratory
A two-year research track is available for selected candidates interested in pursuing an academic career in transfusion medicine.
Candidates must be eligible for an unrestricted active license to practice medicine in New York State and must be board eligible/certified per American Board of Pathology for the blood banking/transfusion medicine boards at the completion of the fellowship program.
- Up to four per year
- Positions no longer available for 2024
- Admissions are rolling. We prefer to receive complete applications starting in April, two years prior to the intended start date (i.e. 2025 will be April 1, 2023); however we will accept applications until available positions are filled. The website is updated when we have closed applications for a given year. That status may change if we have unexpected attrition, so applicants should check back if they have continued interest.
- Potential applicants in the country on a H1B Visa, please ensure that your visa is transferable and will remain current during the one year fellowship.
- Email us to receive an application.