Christopher D. Hillyer, MD, NYBC President and CEO and community leaders encourage the community to donate once per season in 2024, aiming to end blood shortages in the New York region
NEW YORK CITY, NY – New York Blood Center (NYBC) has teamed up with elected officials and hospital leaders to celebrate National Blood Donor Month, encouraging blood donations and aiming to end blood shortages in the region. A joint press conference will be held on Thursday, January 4th at 10:00am at New York Blood Center (310 East 67 Street, New York, NY 10065). NYBC CEO Dr. Christopher Hillyer will lead the press conference where several community leaders are slated to speak. Mayor Eric Adams issued a Mayoral Citation which will be unveiled during the event.
More than 50 years ago, President Richard Nixon signed a proclamation designating January as National Blood Donor Month. The annual observance is meant to honor voluntary blood donors and encourage more people to give blood at a time when more blood is needed. The weeks following the holiday season are always difficult for the blood supply as school breaks, holiday travel, seasonal illness and cold weather often contribute to fewer donations. Hospitals and patients rely upon a steady flow of volunteer donors, but the past few years have brought chronic blood shortages nationwide. To combat this, community leaders are challenging residents to donate at least once per season in 2024.
Invited media will be able to film remarks from local elected officials, hospital leaders and NYBC representatives. There will also be opportunities to secure one-on-one interviews with elected officials, hospital leaders, and others in attendance following the press conference. Additionally, NYBC can share a National Blood Donor Month PSA recording from Senator Chuck Schumer.
- Christoper D. Hillyer, MD, President and CEO, New York Blood Center
- Dawn Pinnock, Commissioner, NYC Dept of Citywide Administrative Services
- Laura Kavanagh, Fire Commissioner, FDNY
- Kenra Ford, FABC, MBA, MT(ASCP), Vice President, Clinical Services Operations and Medical & Professional Affairs, NYC Health & Hospitals
- Jessica Jacobson, MD, Laboratory Director and Chief of Pathology, Director Blood Bank and Transfusion Medicine, NYC Health + Hospitals / Bellevue
- Robert DeSimone, MD Director of Transfusion Medicine, NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Sarah Vossoughi, MD, RN, Associate Director of Transfusion Medicine, NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Vibesh Chibber, MD, Medical Director, North Shore University Hospital Transfusion Services, Northwell Health
- New York Blood Center Leadership
- Top Blood/ Platelet Donors
WHEN: January 4, 2024 at 10:00 a.m.
WHERE: New York Blood Center, 310 East 67 Street, New York, NY 10065