On Monday, May 22, 2023 New York Blood Center Enterprises (NYBCe), in conjunction with Lindsley F. Kimball Research Institute (LFKRI) – the research branch of NYBCe – was proud to host a science symposium for advanced high school science students. The “Future Leaders in Science” (FLIS) symposium is a value-added program provided by NYBCe which allows students real access to working laboratories and direct interaction with our world-class researchers to include presentations, tours, and a workshop.
During the program, investigators gave presentations on their current research and following presentations the attendees toured the labs and attended a hand’s on workshop. More than 41 students and faculty from eight schools across the region participated. This event is kept small to allow for the tours and workshops to be more personalized and informative. The investigators graciously and willingly give their time to this program are able to have more meaningful interaction with the students this way.
- Venkat Magupalli, PhD, Assistant Member Head, Lab of Molecular and Mechanistic Cell Signaling “Research Program on Inflammation & Molecular Cell Signaling”
- Larry Luchsinger, PhD, VP and Director of Research Operations, Head, Lab of Stem Cell Regenerative Research on “Research Programs on Stem Cells & iPSCs”
- Francesca Vinchi, PhD, Assistant Member Head, Iron Research Lab on “Research Programs on Sickle Cell Disease & Iron Biology”
- Divya Beri, PhD, Research Fellow, Lab of Blood-borne Parasites on “Research Program on Blood-born Parasites
- Nicole Bryant, Collections Manager, Blood Operations “Introduction to the Blood Donor Center”