The Translational Research and Development Laboratory (TRDL) focuses on translating important scientific innovations into products and services to help patients suffering from blood diseases and/or otherwise in need of safe, effective blood transfusions.
This newly created laboratory is led by Dr. Bruce Sachais, MD, PhD. Dr. Sachais also serves as Chief Medical Officer for New York Blood Center Enterprises (NYBCe) and Medical Director of the Blood Bank of Delmarva. With laboratories based in New York City and Delaware, we are working with other research, development, and clinical laboratories within NYBCe as well as partner start-up and biotechnology companies to create the future of Transfusion Medicine and develop novel therapies for hematology patients.
Current internal projects focus on the development of a novel treatment for Heparin Induced Thrombocytopenia, as well as methods to treat and improve blood and blood products for transfusion.
We offer development, contract for service, consulting, and wet diligence services.
Current TRDL services include:
- Blood component preparation
- Analysis of whole blood and blood components (RBCs, platelets, plasma, and white cells)
- Plasma and whole blood coagulation
- Flow cytometry
- Other biological analyses
Our Team and Clinical Laboratory Collaborators
- NYBCe laboratory team (New York City and Delaware)
- Connor McCloskey, BS, Laboratory Supervisor
- Jason Sperry, BS, Research Scientist
- Pallashri Saha, PhD, Research Scientist
- Ping Han, MS, Research Scientist
- Sarah McMahon, BA, Program Specialist
- Blood Bank of Delmarva clinical laboratories collaboration team (Delaware)
- Kristin Frederick, MLS, SBB, Director of Laboratories, BBD
- Chloe Thompson, MLS, SBB, Reference Laboratory Supervisor, BBD
- Stacy McCardell, Manager of Component Laboratory, BBD
If you are interested in partnering with us, please contact TRDL@nybc.org.
Visit NYBC Ventures to learn more about funding opportunities.